Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Caterpillars, Pianos and Pontipines

Started with a really good reading session.  In 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' she was very interested in the eyes in the sun and commented on them.  This made me think about using books as a springboard for II practice, dropping expectations so we talk about whatever aspects she likes and don't necessarily have to read it in order.  Part of me would rather read a book 'properly' rather than explore it M.-style but at least it is getting her back into reading.

Then we had a great II session on piano.  It was initiated by her - she led me over to the piano and then placed my hands on the keys.  I wondered how to get her even more involved as I played.  I tried pausing for her to insert words or actions but she didn't.  She was clearly really engaged, listening and swaying to the music.  Possibilities to follow up: create a PECS choice board for her favourite nursery rhymes, or buy a voice recorder disc she can press to insert words into songs.

Finally I tried the In the Night Garden dance again.  She wasn't up for it today but was very verbal during the programme, saying Makka Pakka, Upsy Daisy, Castle (Pontipines' house), Go to Sleep, and Tombliboos. Possibility: would an INTG soundtrack on CD enable me to get better connected with her as less visual distraction?

No comments:

Post a Comment