Tuesday, 3 September 2013

Reading

Reading with M. presents me with a bit of a dilemma.

On the one hand, the II perspective would be to encourage M. to choose the book she wants to read from her bookshelf and go with her choice (even if she wants to read it over and over).  I can see the merits of this because she was reluctant to read for a while and now we've brought her out of that phase I don't want to jeopardise her enthusiasm.  Reading 'That's Not my Frog' ten times in a row is better than refusing to read ... On the other hand just for the sake of language and vocabulary development I'd rather be reading ten different books!

I guess the way forwards is to see if I can extend the reading experience of the same book each time by sharing the experience in different ways, talking about extra vocabulary and detail, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment